Monitoring kernel messages?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Jun 3 06:01:16 PDT 2006

On Saturday 03 June 2006 11:39, Allard Welter wrote:
> On Saturday 03 June 2006 06:20, John Gay wrote:
> > Back in ancient times, when I was running Debian, they used to have a
> > minimal term that kept a running tab on kernel messages on the
> > desktop.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I could emulate that now? It was nice seeing
> > things pop-up in it, especially when something didn't do what it was
> > told.
>
> Risking sounding daft here, but wouldn't 'tail -f /var/log/whatever.log'
> achieve what you require?

I suppose, assuming I knew which log I wanted. Probably kern.log. Maybe a
simple script in my .xinit file would suit? I just want something nice and
small at the bottom of the screen I could look at for things like hot-plug
events, and file writing errors. The thing that reminded me of it; I'm having
problems accessing an SD-Card. dmesg shows writing errors causing mount to
re-mount it read-only. This would allow me to see this happen rather than
wondering what's gone wrong and running dmesg to find out.

Cheers,

	John Gay