General question about metal strength

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 24 11:28:30 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 10:59:38PM -0500, Robert Connolly wrote:

> I feel more confident with a single piece toe cap, than one with multiple
> layers of shapes, assuming both are the same material and mass. A multi layer
> cap is only as strong as the strongest layer, the rest will collapse.

But the absorbsion rate of the collapsing layers proves infinitely
useful. That's why many car panels are made to fly off. If you can get
the load of a moving object closer to it's static load, then the
strength of the final layer needn't be so high allowing for lighter and
more comfortable boots. Likewise a rounded top will not distribute the
weight down it's sides as effectively as a pointed (triagular) top since
the load would have to spread across the top of the toe before moving
down the sides. That spreading means much of the pressure is unloaded
before it takes a downward turn. However, the smaller point of impact of
a pointed top would result in a higher PSI for an instant and sufficient
reinforcement would be required.

* = the direction of travel of the pressure.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs