oracle9i debate

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Sat Sep 20 02:19:35 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:38:54 +0300
Shane Shields <locutusenterprises at hotpop.com> wrote:

> On Friday 19 September 2003 6:26 pm, Don Smith wrote:
> > I doubt anyone here has the inclination to buy Oracle when they can use
> > one of the free databases available.
> >
> > My guess is that there is some kind of secure licensing scheme on those
> > advanced server Linux's so that Oracle can verify that you own a license
> > before running. At least that's the way it works on a Sun platform.
>
> I sort of figured that out judging by the huge volume of comments :) if it was
> pgsql I would get nothing. Its just my work sells oracle and Im trying to get
> them to use LFS. Ideally I would be able to get them to use psql but our
> customers are government and there is a limit.

AFAIK, Oracle is free for development purposes; you need to register as a developper
(it's free) and then you can download the database (and other products) from Oracle's
developper site. You are not allowed to use them for production without a paying license.
Of course, you won't have access to the source.

However, Oracle provides support only for the certified distributions, and only if you do not
do any of the following (list copied from http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/htdocs/linux_techsupp_faq.html )

    * recompiling the kernel, with or without source modifications,

Vssili Dzuba