Berliner LFSers? ...

Csaba Henk csaba at phony_for_avoiding_spam.org
Tue Sep 16 15:49:54 PDT 2003

In article <20030916225143.00004ac4.matthew at linuxfromscratch.org>, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:44:32 +0000 (UTC)
> Csaba Henk <csaba at phony_for_avoiding_spam.org> wrote:
>
>> As recently I got too much spam, I don't indicate a valid address in
>> my posts anymore. If you want to contact me, see the following page:
>>
>> http://www.math-inst.hu/~ekho/egyelore.html
>
> But then email harvesting 'bots will very happily find your email
> address on that page as well and continue to bombard you!  I'd suggest
> getting an "intelligent" spam filter, i.e. one that makes use of
> bayesian analysis such as Popfile
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/popfile) or the more recent versions of
> spamassasin I think.  This won't stop your account from getting spam of
> course, but it should stop you from ever having to see the stuff.

The level of defense is adjusted to the strengh of the attack. The mail
address I send my LFS posts from is not the same as my usual mailimg
account. The former was getting more and more spammed as I used the real
address in LFS posts. Now this problem is solved, as you can't find that
address in my headers anymore

My usual mailing address is the one that my sig refers to. That machine is
nicely spam-filtered by the admins. Since they installed the spam filter,
only one or two spam hit my mailbox (but maybe none, I can't remember).

So now I seem to be satisfactorily protected against spam.

But thanks for the advice, I may see use of them if spam becomes more
intensive somehow, or I decide to set up mailing in my home box.

--
Csaba