Successfully building HJ Lu binutils-2.14.90.0.5 in CVS chapter 6?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Fri Sep 5 07:05:43 PDT 2003

Sebastien Maerten wrote:

> m4 didn't change anything in fact. I seem to have had the same problem
> with bison. However, I carried on with gnu binutils-2.14 and didn't see
> any problems yet.

I've found it quite straightforward to get pass the bison problem.
During the binutils build, it wants to use "bison -y -d" on both
binutils/arparse.y and ld/ldgram.y.

So, once the "make" fails on the first one, go into your
binutils-build/binutils directory, and do these commands:

bison -d -y ../../binutils*6/binutils/arparse.y
mv y.tab.c arparse.c
mv y.tab.h arparse.h

Then, move into the binutils-build/ld directory, and do:

bison -d -y ../../binutils*6/ld/ldgram.y
mv y.tab.c ldgram.c
mv y.tab.h ldgram.h

These are the same steps the yywrap script would do. At that point you
can move back to the binutils-build main directory and run "make"
again. It should now complete without errors.