Well was just a class server

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 21 14:52:52 PDT 2003

Hi Ian Molton. You said the following on 10/21/03 15:19:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:50:14 +0200
> Jeroen Coumans <jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>

>>Au contraire, Debian is *very* admin friendly: it's rock-stable,
>>secure
>>and has superior packages and a very easy package-management. I would
>>prefer it any time before RH or Suse, the only other distros which
>>have a distro targeted at the server.
>

> For a server perhaps, but its X is SO out of date, as are a number of
> other important bits.

Easy to update yourself by adding some source lists. Still, he was
asking for a server-setup and then out-of-date mostly means "well-tested
and stable". And X probably doesn't need to run on a server...

> For a desktop, Mandrake blows it away.

I came to dislike Mandrake since I became the FAQ maintainer... and LFS
desktop blows them all away ;-)

FAQ and Website Maintainer
{faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org