Well was just a class server

Robert R. Russell rrbrussell at cox.net
Mon Oct 20 19:05:51 PDT 2003

Bennett Todd wrote:

> LFS as she stands is a brilliant piece of work for teaching how to
> build up a custom machine.
>
> As she stands, though, she's missing something that system admins
> find comforting for managing production servers, especially as their
> complement of production software grows richer and more complex:
> strong software packaging.
>
> Some people have used rpm to build LFS systems up from scratch.
>
> Another approach, if that doesn't appeal to you, would be to build a
> base LFS system, then add OpenPKG on top of it --- that's rpm
> specially for systems where rpm isn't the native package manager.
> You could then use rpm to manage the daemons you run to offer these
> services, making security patching quicker and easier.
>
> -Bennett

I was thinking about using Mandrake 9.0 as the distro but after reading the
documentation for Courier Mail Server, the system locking up after one
night up, taking a look at the large amount of space Mandrake's install
took up, the system's lousy network performance, only configurable via a
GUI, and little choice of mail software, I decided that Mandrake was not
going to work as the running operating system for the mail server, the only
other easy package distro that I have had some experience dealing with is
Redhat but it's install program locked up, Debian (my first Linux distro)
is not admin friendly, so to get a system that I hope won't lock up,
performs faster, is much smaller, and I can configure from the prompt, I am
going with LFS and as I have at least 6 months to teach the current network
admin, who I have over twice the experience with Linux, how to maintain the
system, with documentation for all of my steps I am not going to worry
about extended maintenance causing a lot of problems, namely because this
admin does little updating or maintenance of the network or any computer
attached to it.