"shutdown -h now" from the ATX power button.

Paul Alexander Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 17:46:48 PDT 2003

Gareth Westwood wrote:
<snip>
> OK, I got it, all seemed to be going well but.....
>
> when I press the power button the machine doesn't shut down and I get
> the follwing error in sys.log
>
> Oct 21 00:37:23 lfs logger: ACPI group  / action  not defined
>
> I figure the problem is that when I press the power button it doesn't
> send info on what happened to acpid hence the missing info from the
> above error ($1 and $2). This in turn would mean that acpi_handler.sh
> and /etc/acpi/events/default wont be able to "case" the event correctly.
> Can anyone sugest how to fix this coz I realy havent got a clue.
>
> TIA

what I had to do was this:

1. turn off acpid, so that /proc/acpi/event (not sure about that file,
but is something similar) can be accessed.
2. tail -f /proc/acpi/event
3. press power button
4. read output of 2.

that will tell you what the acpi system is sending to acpid, so then you
can adjust the case statements /etc/acpi/events/default accordingly.

well, at least that is what is supposed to happen.  On my hardware with
more recent kernels /proc/acpi/event doesn't show anything.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
--
Paul Warren
u3292467 at student dot anu dot edu dot au