Scary Utility

Csaba Henk csaba at phony_for_avoiding_spam.org
Fri Oct 3 09:06:44 PDT 2003

In article <mailman.1535.1064969362.27686.lfs-chat at linuxfromscratch.org>, Bryan Breen wrote:
> At 17:19 9/30/03 -0700, Jim Gifford wrote:
>>http://space.virgilio.it/g_pochini@virgilio.it/
>>
>>A binary diff maker, why???
>
> Just a few thoughts on how it *might* be useful:
>
> A way to make a patch to a binary file that you could then distribute
> instead of the file itself. It would help to ensure "upgrades" are only
> performed by those who have the original file. This also might be desired
> if the original file is rather large, or the means to distribute it are
> very limited (such as very low bandwidth). For example, if the patch could
> fit on a floppy but the binary file could not, easy to port from one system
> to another that doesn't have network capabilities. I could see this being
> quite useful for binary executables, particularly those that are of a
> closed source nature and not "freeware".

Well, all what you say is very nice and clever, what I don't understand is
that why to put together new app, when GNU diff/patch can used for
diffing/patching binary files as well.

--
Csaba

***
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
[The Smiths]
***

As recently I got too much spam, I don't indicate a valid address in my
posts anymore. If you want to contact me, see the following page:

http://www.math-inst.hu/~ekho/egyelore.html