Anybody know anything about RSS feeds? (solved :)

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Wed Jul 30 11:45:05 PDT 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> The site is indeed hand-coded, allthough it must be easy enough for
> someone with decent scripting abilities to generate the RSS from the
> current design - it's very consistent. Why don't you have a look at it?
> (hint hint! :))

Hmm, ok. I'm not sure if I'll have much time in the immediate future,
but I'll try to whip up a quick LFS->RSS parser in Perl or something :)

> I've even written an initial feed for LFS with the help of
> http://www.webdevtips.com/webdevtips/codegen/rss.shtml
> It's at http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/feed.rss

That's just 404'ing for me. Spell something wrong?

> There's an extension which lets you click mailto: links in Fb, but it
> only seems to work if Tb isn't running yet!

That seems to be a bug in Tb; From what I can tell, Fb and Tb are both
suffering from what I called the 'profiles' bug from the days of the
Mozilla all-in-one suite. Mozilla, Firebird, and Thunderbird all check
to see if they're already running when you start them, and if they are,
they ask you to choose a different profile to open it with. This
behaviour is rather brain damaged as far as I can tell, because it means
that any applications that want to open a browser/mail windows for you
can't do it if one is already open, forcing you to copy/paste the data
from one app to the other.

It's not really a bug, though, the concept of 'profiles' is a supported
feature. I'm just rather hoping that they get their act together and get
rid of profiles so that you can open a browser window even if one is
already open...

>> I think what thunderbird and firebird need most is a set of matching
>> themes. Right now I'm using the 'breeze' theme for Firebird (it's
>> sleek, and it's the only one that the RSS feed extension seems to look
>> good in), but there is no matching one for thunderbird. I'm using the
>> default thunderbird theme, which is a tad ugly IMHO, but it's not
>> terrible.
>
> I like the Qute theme, just wish it was finished for Tb! (I hate the
> Classic icons for the mailboxes)

Where can I get it from? I'm looking at texturizer.net (the place that
Firebird sends you when you click 'install new themes' in the config),
and I don't see it.

Thanks :)