Speeding things up

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Jul 26 10:55:29 PDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 23:06:02 +0100
> "Andy Bennett" <andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > With my drive, card and motherboard (In previous post), what do you think I
> > can realistically expect? - I get about 20MB/s with -X69.
>
> same drive I have (except mine is 120GB not 80).
>
> they are *SHIT*. I'm never buying one again. vive le maxtor et. al.
>
> that said, mine can at least *pretend* to manage 40MB/sec (thats the best it manages - its faulty and gets anything down to as low as 2MB/sec ish

 I've got an 800Mhz PIII (133x6) and a 1000Mhz Celeron (100x10), both
with Seagate Barracuda IV 40Gb drives, both claiming to be running
udma5.  The Celeron gives me 40MB/s, the Pentium much less (22MB/s, from
memory, but it's powered down in another room at the moment).  This is
after spending time with hdparm on the PIII to try to improve it.  Some
motherboards are good, others aren't.

 BTW, what's with the newgroups addition in the header ?  I suddenly got
pine asking me about replying by email, newsgroup, or to author.  Is
this a feature of mailman ?

Ken
--
 Peace, love, linux