Speeding things up

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 24 06:18:02 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24, Jul, 2003 at 12:31:32AM +0100, Gareth Westwood spoke thus..
> >Also try linux-2.6x since it is
> >much better for interactive tasks, allthough OpenOffice is actually
> >slower in 2.6.
> Is that a simple download, configure, re-compile and reboot? or is it
> more complicated?

Make sure you have module-init-tools - the new module loading system.
*Don't* delete modutils before you install it as it'll backup modutils
to /sbin/modprobe.old etc and automatically call it if you're using a
2.4.x kernel.  If you already have Alsa installed make sure that your
libraries are at least 0.9.3b and make sure that you've run the
snddevices script with this version or later (i.e. /dev/snd should *not*
be a symlink to /proc/asound/dev).  Other than that, make sure you've
enabled your keyboard and mouse when doing the kernel compile.

I'd definately give it a shot.

Mark

"I got off at Durham... and fell in love with it instantly.  Why, it's
 wonderful - a perfect little city.  If you have never been to Durham, go
 there at once. Take my car. It's wonderful."
     Notes from a Small Island, Bill Bryson
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org