motherboard and graphics card

Mark A. Nicolosi markan at penguinmail.com
Sat Jul 5 20:26:03 PDT 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:56:33 +0100
Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 06:35:40 +0000 (UTC)
> markan at penguinmail.com ("Mark A. Nicolosi") wrote:
>

> > For graphics, I want a card that is very well supported in Linux,
> > and has open source drivers. It should be a cross between a high-end
> > gamers card and a nice budget home card, but it should still be cool
> > enough to give me bragging rights.
> >
> > I know that's a lot of requirements, especially since a don't want
> > to spend too much money, something like $100-$150 for the
> > motherboard(with a processor included hopefully) and another $50 for
> > the graphics card.
>
> The mobo is the single most important part if the system. dont skimp
> on it. Buy an ASUS.
Any specific chipset? I remember a discussion a few months ago about
some chipset that was known to be crappy. I just don't want to screw
around with something that's going to segfault on kernel compiles. But I
guess I'll go with an ASUS.

> video - well, a mid-rnage radeon sounds like what you want, but try to
> buy a recognised manufacturer rather than a no-name clone (better
> analogue stuff usually) (== better image quality)
Do they have open source drivers, that work *well*? Is there a specific
radeon fb driver (after using the Linux fb, I couldn't ever go back to
the BIOS 25x800!)... Or I guess VESA2 would work, I use it know with a
crappy SiS card.

Hopefully I'll be able to join your Quake games when I get my new system
built :-)

Thanks.

--
Mark A. Nicolosi <markan_at_penguinmail.com>

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those how can read binary
code, and those who can't."
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org