Linux Laptop

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Feb 27 14:57:04 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:39:38 -0500
torsten <torsten at inetw.net> wrote:

> decent 3D performance,
>
> There is something I don't understand.  The ARM's lack all fp
> performance.  This means the machine is not suitable to graphics.

No, thats utter rubbish.

Fixed point math can actually be FASTER than FP math on many
architectures.

the reason FP is so important on X86 is because it can run *in parallel*
with integer math. it would be just as advantageous to have two parallel
integer units.

the only issue is that most (all?) 3D accel chips that are mass produced
are tailored for X86 FP register format.

> So why include any kind of powerful 3D chip?  Wouldn't it just
> be a waste?

Depends.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org