Upgrading glibc

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Thu Feb 27 13:52:22 PST 2003

jeroencoumans at gmx.net (Jeroen Coumans) writes:

> Björn Lindberg wrote:
> > Does anybody know of a safe way to upgrade glibc without risking
> > completely screwing up my system?
>
> Yes, install a new LFS :) No risk, no fun. You could try installing
> the new glibc on your system as a drop-in replacement; all apps should
> keep working.

What do you mean? Just build and install it on the running system
without any extra precautions?

> If you do that with 2.2.5 -> 2.3.x,

Erm... actually I'm about to upgrade from 2.2.1. Trouble is, I've
started seeing programs that want 2.2.{3,4,5} or better to work.

> don't forget to
> apply the patch which lets your static libs working. (search lfs-dev
> for that).

Ok, thanks.

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org