Linux laptop... news.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Feb 27 09:51:08 PST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:37:14 +0000 (UTC)
rainer at maren.desy.de (Rainer Peter Feller) wrote:

> > > how many kernels? jumper protected? lilo/grub ? it should be able
> > > to load a kernel from disc! may be grub is better then
> >
> > one, probably. why do you want to boot off disc?
>
> hey we want to play yes? (Test)Booting an other kernel to see if we
> could use it would not be to bad ...
> hm what about booting from USB-Memory?
> /me is extending the whishlist :-)

I'd like to avoid the current PC nightmare 'must have a BIOS that can
boot off anything'.

At *most* there will be two boot media.

1) The internal flash (4MBytes *minimum*, probably 16MB)

2) A flashcard, what kind depending on the eventual board and case
layout.

There will also be a serial console that can be used to program flash if
you really balls things up.

booting from HDD, USB dongle, or anything else *wont* happen. Theres no
point.

as long as you can program the flash, and rescue it on a ballsup, thats
all you need, and simple is *good*.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org