Linux laptop... news.

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Wed Feb 26 23:10:58 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

<SNIP>
> *A5 size case
> *800x600 TFT touchscreen
*sigh* pager :-)

> *VGA out
> *S-video out
dvd playback!

> *dual head on any two heads.
> *6 USB ports (maybe). 2 for sure. would people sacrifice parallel port
> for 4xUSB?
if you want a big keyboard, do it with usb ...
are there passive usb-hubs?

> *600MHz ARM10 with FP math
> *DSP for DCT / media playback Accel.
> *user upgradeable Memory (maybe SDR, maybe DDR, in practice for a
> laptop, SDR may be better).
> *40GB HDD
> *15 - 24Hr battery life in use
> *2-3 **WEEKS** standby time
> *kernel (and maybe root FS) in user upgradeable FLASH.
how many kernels? jumper protected? lilo/grub ? it should be able to load
a kernel from disc! may be grub is better then

> *PCMCIA
I wonder when there will be pcmcia-umts-modems :-)

> *bluetooth (maybe)
cool! would suite with my new mobile :-)

> *IrDA
> *Audio (5.1 codec, w/ digital out)
would not be needed except for doom3 :-) and dvd playback

> Whaddaya think?

great! what about dual/quattro? (o.k. later)

CUH Rainer Peter Feller

| LFS     #  3106 | http://www.linuxfromscratch.org                  |
| P-Linux #     1 | http://p-linux.desy.de                             |

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org