Linux Laptop

Florian Teply onlinefloh at web.de
Wed Feb 26 15:21:55 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:11:50 +0000 (UTC)
> richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) wrote:

[snip]

>>If the battery is flat, I want to get it to within 80% of full
>>charge in under 12 hours. <cut>
>>chemistries. Lithium ion was fine, I have no idea about lithium
>>polymer.
>

> LiIon and Li Poly are the same basic technology. they can do what you
> ask.
>
> the case is designed for a li-ion pack.

li-ion is great, it got the most energy inside of the least weight and
room if i remember correctly. But take care about charging circuitry to
not burn them...

>>>Bear in mind that its possible that, since we're using an ARM, it
>>>could run for *weeks* in standby mode, hence removing the need for
>>>actually turning it off...
>>>

>>The other way is to have two battery slots. As there is no PC BIOS
>>to cause delays, and the kernel can be read from flash before the
>>hard disc spins up, rebooting should not take long, so this is not a
>>feature I would pay money for.
>

> actually, the ARM uses so little power that with a good size capacitor,
> or maybe a lithium cell, the CPU and RAM could probably survive a
> hotswap of the main battery if everything else is sleeping...

You´re talking about these Gold Cap Capacitors? 1 Farad at 5.5 Volts?
taking power consumption of ARM processors into account, probably one of
these Gold Caps could be enough to provide a battery swapping time of
about thirty minutes when system is sleeping... Should be enough time to
swap batteries even for blind 130 year old Great-grand-pa ;-))

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org