Linux Laptop

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 26 15:00:26 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:03:54 +0000
Rui Ferreira <ruifmferreira at sapo.pt> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
> > richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) wrote:
> >
> (sniping all Q-A)
>
>  - Water-proof - to be able to carry it around without a bag without
>  being afraid of rain;

certainly, we wont need ventilation holes in the case. Full
waterproofing simply WONT be cost effective. theres too many ports, and
the hinge would need a total redesign (which categorically CANNOT
happen).

>  to NOT be a big deal to drop it in the snow

Where an X86 may melt snow, dropping an arm in a puddle is likely to
freeze the puddle.

Ok, joking aside - I'd be more worried about the LCD in extreme cold
than dropping it (it wont get warm).

>  (doesn't matter much to me, but just another e.g.); to use it
>  careless in the beach without being afraid of the moisture or sand
>  damaging it;

Well, no CDROM in this case means no real dander to mechanical
components.

I think its still going to need relatively careful treatment in the
sand, though.

> and MOST OF ALL, not suffering from heart attack when
>  our glass of beer accidentaly turns over the keyboard!

The keyboard is a membrane type (real keys, membrane switches, like most
modern desktop types). beer WILL kill it. however, its easy to replace.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org