Linux Laptop

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 26 13:41:46 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:11:50 +0000 (UTC)
richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) wrote:

> * Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [2003-02-26 20:29]:
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:28:11 +0000 (UTC)
> > richard at nezumi.plus.com (Richard Lightman) wrote:
> >
> > > *100) The keyboard is a separate box from the monitor.
> >
> > Perhaps. not likely tho.
> >
> I use an external keyboard on my laptop because I do not like to
> sit hunched over to look at the LCD. I could do the same for a
> new laptop, but it is a bit wasteful.

Hm. its an unusual way to use a laptop. perhaps a future 'slate' product
though.

> Stay alert then - one of the AMD flash chips I used had this wonderful
> "never erase the boot block" command, and a very destructive "erase
> the whole chip" command. Use both, and the boot block is erased and
> cannot be reprogrammed...

Im thinking of a permanent 'masked rom' which can load basic code into
flash. masked rom CANNOT be erased.

there will, *of course* be a jumper to disable writing to flash.

> > > CPU:
> > > *150) Compile native kernel <10 minutes.
> >
> > Not bloody likely.
> >
> This does concern me. I do lots of compiling. How long does it
> take an ARM to compile a kernel?

Actually, thinking about it, my view there may be skewed. the fastest
ARM I have built a 2.4 kernel on was a SA RISC PC with 200MHz StrongARM
and 16MHz RAM. it takes about 30 mins.

A more recent ARM would take less time, esp. with a better memory bus.

You needto bear in mind, though, that compiling GOOD code for a RISC
machine is far harder than for a CISC one.

I'll let you know more when I get my ARM9 devkit.

> > > *203) Discharged to 80% charged: <12 hours.
> >
> > huh???
> >
> If the battery is flat, I want to get it to within 80% of full
> charge in under 12 hours. <cut>
> chemistries. Lithium ion was fine, I have no idea about lithium
> polymer.

LiIon and Li Poly are the same basic technology. they can do what you
ask.

the case is designed for a li-ion pack.

> > Bear in mind that its possible that, since we're using an ARM, it
> > could run for *weeks* in standby mode, hence removing the need for
> > actually turning it off...
> >
> The other way is to have two battery slots. As there is no PC BIOS
> to cause delays, and the kernel can be read from flash before the
> hard disc spins up, rebooting should not take long, so this is not a
> feature I would pay money for.

actually, the ARM uses so little power that with a good size capacitor,
or maybe a lithium cell, the CPU and RAM could probably survive a
hotswap of the main battery if everything else is sleeping...

> > no such thing in small size. if you want quality use the
> > line/headphone/digital out.
> >
> I do, but it does not stop the irritating whine from the built in
> speakers on my current laptop.

there will be no whine. (usually caused by poor damping of noise from
the backlight inverter...)

> > Its an interesting idea.
> >
> Let me know when you have thought it through.

Im getting there, gradually...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org