Linux Laptop

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Feb 26 12:35:29 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:37:33 +0000 (UTC)
rainer at maren.desy.de (Rainer Peter Feller) wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Ian Molton wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:41:07 +0000 (UTC)
> > rainer at maren.desy.de (Rainer Peter Feller) wrote:
> > > what about 3D-acceleration?
> >
> > maybe. certainly DVD/2D accel. 3D may not be easy since ARM has no
> > FP registers.
>
> I don't think that you need fp for 3d (doom?)

X86 doom uses FP and integer.

> the color is int, the geometry could also be int ...

Yes. a proof of concept integer only quake engine (quake 1) exists for
ARM. 30FPS software rendering at 640x480 on a 200MHz StrongARM, with
16MHz memory bus. not bad, really.

> the 3D accelerator chip could do the FP calc internaly

but if its registers are floating point and the CPUs arent, the data
will need converting, which will take time.

The good news is that ARM10 has floating point (yipee!)

The bad news is that the ARM10 isnt avaliable (boo!)

> > > what about bigger accu (I {w,c}ould carry anything which is not
> > > much heavier than my cat : ca. 6.8 kg)
> >
> > what is 'accu'? accumulator? battery?
> right!

well, 1AH (10V) gives 6 hours on a power hungry 7500FE design
(outdated)...

> A task sharing architecture would be enough ... if you have a cpu for
> IO, a cpu for audio, a cpu for GFX and a cpu for the rest :-)
> This concept has worked nice on amiga ...

NUMA...

> > > what about dvd/cdrw combo? (we don't need floppy but want to save
> > > eh?)
> >
> > most certainly.

actually, Im going to have to downsize that to a 'probably external'
now...

> > ABSOLUTELY.
>
> So if I am unable to resolve the full power of my laptop it is my
> fault?

:-) (Bear in mind that I may not be allowed to give out some details of
the design, since we may end up sharing hardware with other projects to
keep costs down. I hope to open as much as possible.)

> Have you already contacted id-software to port Q3?

That would be pretty sw33t ;-)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org