Linux Laptop

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Feb 26 04:27:18 PST 2003

* Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> [2003-02-26 09:26]:

> I am trying to guage interest in a hypothetical laptop.

If you achieve the all requirements at a reasonable price, then I WILL
buy.

*: Requirement
+: Wanted - I will pay extra for.
-: Cool idea, but I probably would not pay for it.

Overall:
*100) The keyboard is a separate box from the monitor.
*101) Minimize number of cables between me (keyboard, mouse,
      headphones, microphone), and the the other boxes (CPU
      power supply, montior, DVD/CDRW) preferably with IDRA,
      or failing that with USB.
*102) Strategy to prevent or recover from erasing the wrong
      bit of flash.
*103) No fans.
+104) Survives being dropped.
-105) Make a cluster by adding (CPU+memory) mini-PCI cards.

CPU:
*150) Compile native kernel <10 minutes.
*151) Cross compile x86 kernel <10 minutes.
*152) DVD playback <80% CPU utilisation.
+153) Compile native kernel <5 minutes.
-153) Compile native kernel <2 minutes.

Battery:
*200) >3 hours of compiling
*201) >3 hours of DVD playback
*202) Maximum discharge rate high enough to handle some USB devices.
*203) Discharged to 80% charged: <12 hours.
+204) Can be exchanged without a screwdriver.
-205) Can be exchanged without a reboot.
-206) Can be exchanged without a reboot while not plugged in.

Memory:
*250) 128MB
+251) 256MB
-253) 512MB

LCD:
*300) >=1024x768
*301) >=15" diagonal, or like a pair of glasses.

Hard disc:
*350) >=10GB

Ethernet:
*400) 10/100Mb/s
*401) Can remove the ethernet cable without unplugging a PCMCIA card.
*402) No adapter cable required.
-403) 1000Mb/s
*404) Plenty of USB connectors.

Audio:
*450) Does not emit a high pitched whine.
*451) Good quality speakers, or none (external).

Keyboard:
*500) Putting the keyboard on my lap does not block vital cooling
      vents.

Mouse:
*550) >=3 buttons
*551) Does not require a clean flat surface.

With any luck, using a mass produced monitor will save money compared
to buying a small number of flat pannels. Making the keyboard, mouse,
DVD/CDRW, speakers, and microphone externel will give you much more
freedom when selecting the box, and will probably end up as extra
choice/features for very little extra cost.

I would be prepared to pay up to 700 UK pounds+VAT for a box with:
  CPU, memory, video, ethernet, audio, (USB2 or USB+firewire)
  battery, hard disc, and the glue to make them work together
To use the box, I would expect to add:
  monitor, keyboard, mouse, mains adapter, DVD/CDRW, headphones.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org