TCPA

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Wed Feb 26 02:00:53 PST 2003

qcal at quen.net ("R. Quenett") writes:

> mutilated misquotes
> from Björn Lindberg's 25 Feb 2003 classic prose
> may follow:
>
> " Well, the artist is responsible for signing the contract with the
> " record company. The artist is hardly in a position to complain,
>
> That artist; yes, depending on the contract.
>
> " especially not today when there are other distribution channels
> " available.
>
> Quite a few (well, I know of at least two:) use those channels.  I
> recently downloaded some good guitar music directly from an artist's
> web site (http://www.jefftturner.com).  We chatted about me doing
> that (in the middle of a few other things) and he told me he was very
> glad that I had because, he said, people like me were the only real
> chance artists like him had a chance of getting their music listened
> to, or words along those lines.
>
> It's not possible legally, afaik, for me to get a special exemption
> from the CD tax in order to record his music, which he did the
> compliment to me of giving to me for free.  Ian Molton's (and
> others') complaints about everyone being all rolled up into the same
> ball of wax (well, it -was- wax at one time; it's styrene or
> something now and was vinyl at one time) aren't entirely without all
> merit;-).

I agree, it is outrageous. We have such a CD-tax in Sweden
too. Apparently the government thinks we are all criminals. My comment
above was just made to point out that the artist is responsible for
contracts he/she chooses to sign, as are we all.

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org