Linux Laptop

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Wed Feb 26 01:37:16 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:41:07 +0000 (UTC)
> rainer at maren.desy.de (Rainer Peter Feller) wrote:
> > what about 3D-acceleration?
>
> maybe. certainly DVD/2D accel. 3D may not be easy since ARM has no FP
> registers.

I don't think that you need fp for 3d (doom?)
the color is int, the geometry could also be int ...
the 3D accelerator chip could do the FP calc internaly

> > what about bigger accu (I {w,c}ould carry anything which is not
> > much heavier than my cat : ca. 6.8 kg)
>
> what is 'accu'? accumulator? battery?
right!

> well, if anything, it'll need a smaller battery ;-)

o.k. lets say to be able to plug an extra battery

> > what about dual/quatro cpu?
>
> maybe, although ARMs dont work well SMP, but thats not the only MP
> architecture... quad CPU in a laptop *is* a realistic proposition for an
> ARM though, unlike, well, *anything* else...

A task sharing architecture would be enough ... if you have a cpu for IO,
a cpu for audio, a cpu for GFX and a cpu for the rest :-)
This concept has worked nice on amiga ...

> > what about network?
>
> onboard. 10/100(/1000 maybe)

o.k.

> > what about dvd/cdrw combo? (we don't need floppy but want to save eh?)
>
> most certainly.
>
> > smardcard reader could be done with pcmcia?
>
> we will be constrained by easily obtainable cases.
>
> > full hardware docs? (I know this is what you will never get from
> > normal vendors ...)
>
> ABSOLUTELY.

So if I am unable to resolve the full power of my laptop it is my fault?

> > Harddisc >=30GB?
>
> probably. certainly the capability.
>
> > 1500Eur ?
> >
> > The best is you couldn't be forced to install WinXP :-)
> >
> > This extra feature is extra 300 Eur worth!
>
> :-)

Have you already contacted id-software to port Q3?

CUH Rainer Peter Feller

| LFS     #  3106 | http://www.linuxfromscratch.org                  |
| P-Linux #     1 | http://p-linux.desy.de                             |

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org