TCPA

Silviu Julean sjulean at computervoice.ro
Tue Feb 25 07:51:48 PST 2003

This is where snips from the TCPA FAQ begin:
----------------
TCPA stands for the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance, an initiative led
by Intel. Their stated goal is `a new computing platform for the next
century that will provide for improved trust in the PC platform.' Palladium
is software that Microsoft says it plans to incorporate in future versions
of Windows; it will build on the TCPA hardware, and will add some extra
features.

It provides a computing platform on which you can't tamper with the
applications, and where these applications can communicate securely with the
vendor. The obvious application is digital rights management (DRM): Disney
will be able to sell you DVDs that will decrypt and run on a Palladium
platform, but which you won't be able to copy. The music industry will be
able to sell you music downloads that you won't be able to swap. They will
be able to sell you CDs that you'll only be able to play three times, or
only on your birthday. All sorts of new marketing possibilities will open
up.

Once the majority of PCs on the market are TCPA-enabled, the GPL won't work
as intended. The benefit for Microsoft is not that this will destroy free
software directly. The point is this: once people realise that even GPL'led
software can be hijacked for commercial purposes, idealistic young
programmers will be much less motivated to write free software.

This FAQ is GPLed, taken from http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html.

This is where snips from the TCPA FAQ end. I hope I'm not violating anything
by publicly posting parts of a GPLed document - but it's for the interest of
the No-TCPA community.

Seriously, it seemed scary for me. Did any of you know about this? I invite
those who didn't to check out http://www.notcpa.org/.

--
Silviu Julean

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org