Quake maps

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Tue Feb 25 02:07:00 PST 2003

James Cozine <jmcozine at yahoo.com> writes:

> d95-bli at nada.kth.se (Björn Lindberg) writes:
>
> > I do not know how to extract individual maps from pk3:s, or I would
> > have done that instead.
>
> A .pk3 file is like a mini baseq3/ dir.  *.bsp files are the maps
> themselves, although they can make use of non-standard textures/ and
> such.

Ok. I guess it would be possible to divide a large package then, by
figuring out which files belongs to which map.

> (And just cutting the music/ dir saves 22MB...)

I kind of liked the music. :-)

> > The dolphin map in the isions package is kind of cool. Not very good
> > graphics but a very open and a bit peculiar map.
>
> Those are all very... weird.  The dolphin one would be n00b friendly,
> though, because not only does falling not hurt, but the sudden stop
> at the end doesn't either ;)

That is true. I have played the dolphin map against bots a few times,
and I think it is too much of a rail-o-rama to be any fun to actually
use for real games. It is a very cool map though, IMO.

> > I will try to put up more maps when I have time to look for more.
>
> Speaking of which[1]...
>
> http://planetquake.com/quake3/features/lotw/dm-03-02-18.shtml
> http://planetquake.com/quake3/features/lotw/dm-02-10-23.shtml

I will check them out when I get home tonight.

> [1] I'd stop messing around with my little tests and create my own map
>     if I didn't suck at two fundamental mapping skills: design and
>     implementation ;)

It would be very cool if any LFSers would make some maps though. We
could make an LFS-package of maps. :-)

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org