Quake3

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sun Feb 23 13:12:16 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 20:49:21 +0000 (UTC)
miguel at thewizardstower.org (Miguel Bazdresch) wrote:

> I agree with Björn, we had some good games. I'm finally learning how
> to cope with ping. So far lesson number one is: the shotgun is
> useless.

Err. no. Shotgun is god.

it fires where you point and the server compensates based on ping.

the only weapons that suffer badly from ping are the lightening gun, and
to a lesser extent, the plasma cannon. Even then the lightening guns
main problem is psychological - if you point it at someone and fire, the
server tries to take into account what YOU see. the continous delayed
feedback from it is the problem as far as aiming goes.

For example, two people running for armour at almost the same time can
result in BOTH thinking they grabbed it, where, in reality, one got
there first.

both see themselves get there first because thats the state of play
their machines extrapolated, however, the server knows which one really
got there first, and one wont get the armour.

> As for moving the game: both friday and saturday are bad for me (often
> I won't be able to make it), but friday's better.

Im leaning toward a tues/sat split - ie. two games.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org