Where to put Linux kernel source tree

Eric Miller etmilleretmiller at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 23 10:06:17 PST 2003

> that it shall not go into /usr/src/linux, but

Florian...I don't doubt that the book says this
somewhere, but where *exactly* does it say this?  I
know that at the beginning of chapter 6, we move the
clean source tarballs to somehwere (recommends
/usr/src, which is what Im sure most folks use)

Then, as I recall, the rest of the build goes on frm
there with all sources in /usr/src (inside chroot)

> there's no hint i'm able to
> decipher stating where else the kernel source tree
> should be.

Anyways, it doesnt matter where you put the sources.
You can put them anywhere you want.  All that matters
is that:

- The bzImage that you build in
/wherever/whatever/..../arch/i386/boot/bzImage gets
copied to /boot as lfskernel

- If you do put the sources somewhere wierd, create a
symlink from /usr/src/linux >>
/wherever/your/kernel/sources/are

HTH!