*sigh* (was: Re: pcre-4.0 has been released)

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 06:37:53 PST 2003

"Richard A Downing" <richard.downing at bcs.org.uk> wrote in message
news:b3akkk$e3s$1 at quasar.highos.com...
>   It was supposed to
> > imply that the newbies (or majority of them) don't use the archives
as
> > much as they should, and therefore as an under-used resource could
be
> > considered for removal.
>
> Of course we could do something REALLY RADICAL, and document how to
use the
> archives effectively to solve common probelms, rather than just
telling
> newbies - 'there's an archive on this URL... go use it.'

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/4.0/chapter01/maillists.html is
admittedly a bit blunt.  I think a sentence or two should be added to
what is already under the "Mail Archives" section: Something along the
lines of "The mailing list archives can be searched using the
http://search.linuxfromscratch.org search engine.  If this site is ever
unreachable then http://www.google.com can be used with the following
text (without the quotes) appended to your search criteria
'site:archive.linuxfromscratch.org'".

> But of course useful documentation is not for Linux hackers, they like
> un-indexed, un-crossreferenced,

in-a-format-that-you-ain't-got-the-reader-for-and-which-you-can't-find-t
he-source-for,
> you-have-to-know-what-you-want-before-you-can-find-it
> junk.
>
> And then they can make sarcastic jokes about newbies on mailing lists,
and
> feel superior.

Ouch...I still class myself as a newbie in many areas but I do generally
read the relevant documentation and the FAQs that it may point me to
before requesting help.  This is what I regard a fundamental part of
netiquette.  What frustrates me is when it is *obvious* that someone
hasn't even bothered reading any of the documents and is quite plainly
asking question after question in the hope that someone can hand-hold
them all the way.  Others may have the time and the inclination to help
people in this way, but I certainly don't.

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org