It works...

Stefan Krah sfk1 at bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 21 05:27:49 PST 2003

* Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:
> Its the Potential Difference (PD) that they care about, so the PD
> between the 12 and 5V lines is 7V.
>
> however, the 5V line is NOT designed to sink current, so failure of the
> fan could short the 5 and 12V lines, and, without the CPUs protection
> being able to help, you could end up with a 5V line at 12V and a LOT of
> very fried hardware.

Darn! My @%*&$!% Thermaltake Fan Speed Control just went up into smoke
(literally) and I planned to buy an adapter cable for using fans between
5 and 12V. They sell those in the shop without warnings.

So how real is the threat? This article says it is "quite safe" for low
wattage fans:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=6&page=1

Stefan Krah
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org