GNOME 2.2

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 19 19:47:53 PST 2003

Steve Bougerolle wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 12:51, torsten wrote:
>

>>I wish I could form an impression.  I had a horrible time
>>compiling it.  I decided to put gnome in /opt/gnome.  Problem
>>was, my pkgconfig was in /usr/local.  pkgconfig would never read
>>the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH if set in my .bashrc.
>>

>That, at least, has a simple solution.  Install pkgconfig again (that is
>twice, with one copy of it in each hierarchy to match the appropriate
>--prefix=)!  I recall having to do something like that to get GNOME 1.4
>and 2.0 installed into separate trees.  It kind of grinds to waste space
>like that, but it works and isn't really a big deal.

I never had the problem, in my previous installation (Gnome 2.0), I had
pkg-config (.pc) files scattered over different prefixes /usr,
/usr/X11R6, /opt/gnome and setting the above variable always worked.
There were no Gnome-1.4 packages though. Though to simplify my life, I
have finally settled on putting everything in /usr. If some package
(e.g. XFree86) does install .pc files in a different location, I move
them over to /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/