GNOME 2.2

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 19 17:32:36 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 12:51, torsten wrote:

> I wish I could form an impression.  I had a horrible time
> compiling it.  I decided to put gnome in /opt/gnome.  Problem
> was, my pkgconfig was in /usr/local.  pkgconfig would never read
> the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH if set in my .bashrc.

That, at least, has a simple solution.  Install pkgconfig again (that is
twice, with one copy of it in each hierarchy to match the appropriate
--prefix=)!  I recall having to do something like that to get GNOME 1.4
and 2.0 installed into separate trees.  It kind of grinds to waste space
like that, but it works and isn't really a big deal.

> Next, I tried to get the base stuff in.  Several base packages
> wouldn't install their *.pc files, or even create them.  Then
> packages later would require the presence of the *.pc files.
> *.pc == pkg-config files.

Yep, without pkg-config working properly you are doomed to trouble with
the rest.

> It was a mess.  I reported the problem to the GNOME bugzilla,
> and the developers just closed the bugs.

Yes, I've had those sorts of problems, too.  I actually had more luck
getting answers on IRC than by e-mail/web (which is pretty rare).
That's how I first discovered the infamous bonobo-activation bug a
little while ago.

> I'm also find the attitudes of the GNOME people a little
> arrogant.  It seems they don't want people compiling their
> sources anymore, but would rather everyone use precompiled
> packages.

That's a problem with a lot of open-source stuff.  It's too easy to
blame your problems on somebody else who wrote a package that's supposed
to work with yours.  The kernel/glibc/gcc guys are an even more obvious
example of this business.

I don't know if the GNOME people are arrogant or not, but I can believe
some of them would act that way.  My only persistent beef with them is
that they seem to suffer from the usual "academic programmer" problem of
being too keen on writing Cool New Stuff and not interested enough in
making it work or keeping it all stable.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com