EPIA - first impressions...

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 09:32:50 PST 2003

Matthew Burgess wrote on 19 February 2003 17:18

>Bloody hell, with prices like that I might just ditch the idea of
>getting a laptop altogether.
>http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/index.asp?section=products&idd=12 has a EPIA
>800 pre-built box for £223.25.  This sounded really attractive, but then
>I realised I had to add to that the cost of some memory (~£40) and HDD
>(~£75 for a 2.5" 20GB).   I'd also need to get a USB Floppy drive (Dabs
>have one for £30) and a CD-drive (can I fit a slimline CD drive and a
>2.5" HDD in the same box? If not it'll have to be a USB job for that).
>It's still around £400 for a complete PC (bar the monitor of course -
>I'll dig out an unused one from somewhere).  I'll wait to see more of
>Ian's reports back to see how he gets on.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=11#pb3 with

VIA EPIA 800 C3 800Mhz Motherboard
256MB of PC133 memory
60GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
Samsung CDRW/DVD Combo Drive - plays DVDs and records CDs!
Silver Chyang Fun MiniCube Mini-ITX case

Agree on waiting for Ians report before I commit to purchasing. I have
a spare hard drive/256mb ram/cd writer hanging around so the first link
(£151.58) is probably what I would go for.

>Matt.

	** http://www.linuxuk.org ***********************
	* Jamie Bennett  		   jamie at linuxuk.org *
	* Software Engineer	   Bath,                *
	* PCP Micro Products Ltd,  BA2 8EJ.	            *
	* Lower Bristol Road,                           *
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org