two bandwidth pipes

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Wed Feb 19 06:45:31 PST 2003

Hi,

I have request for input from folks with experience in setting up an
ISP/hosting solution.  First general experience and then specifically in
regards to two pipe providers.

We have two vendors that will happily hook us up.  We are considering
this, as having two pipes would give redundant connectivity over
separate circuits/networks.  What I am wondering about are the issues
involved in setting this all up.  I don't see us doing BGP out of the
box.  Hell, I am vague on details from reading through DNS material a
couple of years ago (that will have to change in very quick order :-)
).  IIRC it is possible to set the DNS up so that if a server fails to
respond, a client will be pointed at a second server (at a different
IP).  I don't know that this actually works in the real world.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,