CPU alternatives

torsten torsten at inetw.net
Sun Feb 16 10:51:54 PST 2003

On Sun the 16 Feb 2003 at 15 hours EST
BL wrote...
>Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> writes:
>
>> On 16 Feb 2003 13:55:44 +0100
>> d95-bli at nada.kth.se (Björn Lindberg) wrote:
>>
>> > Very informative. :-) Are you saying that the performance is too low,
>> > or that the price gets too high?
>>
>> Well, a 600MHz XScale isnt slow.
>
>What is an XScale? When I google for it, I get Intel pages. Am I right
>to think it is an ARM compatible Intel CPU? Do you know if there are
>any desktop boxes with this CPU available at all?
>
>> nor is an 800MHz Alpha.
>
>I thought Alpha was dead. Are there any desktop boxes available with
>the Alpha?

Many - look on ebay.  Old Alpha hardware keeps coming up there.  It's
cheap, runs Linux, and some of it is still pretty powerful.  The
Alpha was the first CPU that could encode mpeg2 in real-time, and that
was back in the '90's.

I always wondered why Digital did such a horrible job of marketing the
CPU.  There was so much potential - and it was such a nice design.

I went to a digital technical seminar held near my home town.  The guy
there was very nervous - he kept calling it an "Alpha APX" instead of
"AXP".

Torsten
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org