CPU alternatives

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 05:33:06 PST 2003

On 16 Feb 2003 13:55:44 +0100

> Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> writes:
>
> > > I'm interested to know what CPU/platform alternatives there are to
> > > Intel/AMD for a home computer. I think VIA makes an x86 processor.
> > > I know that Ian has been talking about compoters running ARM
> > > processors. Are there any price/preformance-wise viable
> > > alternatives for a home computer?
> >
> > No.
>
> Very informative. :-) Are you saying that the performance is too low,
> or that the price gets too high?

The Via is ok for a box that is not going to do
any cpu intensive work.  For an LFS'er that compiles
a lot, the Via would be horid.  I bougth an 800 MHz
Via for my father to do web, email and it works fine
for that.  It is slightly slower then an 800 MHz celeron.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL