Fairy tales for adults (long)

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Feb 14 18:04:33 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 10:32:21 +0900
Jeremy Larner <jeremy.larner at dunelm.org.uk> wrote:

> If it tells me that it might happen, but
> it's not likely, then I have no real idea about the validity of my
> model.

But we're not modelling the future - we're saying the model predicts
that there were billions of possibilities *in the past*. One of them
happened. if it was one the model predicted, it doesnt help. if it was
one the model didnt predict, the model is flawed.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if in a hypothetical
creation, the event that occured would preclude the formulation of a
prediction of itself... for all we know, we live inside that
occurance...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org