Fairy tales for adults (long)

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Fri Feb 14 09:03:34 PST 2003

steveb at creek-and-cowley.com (Steve Bougerolle) writes:

> On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 00:05, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> > I thought we were discussing wether any well-educated, intelligent
> > person acting rationally could reasonably believe that the world was
> > created 6k years ago. I would have to say no. Well-educated means the
> > person is acquainted with the sciences, and then it is very irrational
> > or stupid to -- in the face of science -- believe that the world is 6k
> > years old.
>
> Well, if your definition of well educated requires one to be
> knowledgeable about science, then your point is ALMOST made.  Still,
> some people who learn about science do seem able to believe Genesis is
> history anyway.

And I would conclude that those people are not rational.

> For myself, I consider it a bit harsh to believe well-educated people
> must know that much science.  I guess my standards are different from
> yours, which figures since I've spent the last decade in places where
> the literacy rate is probably on average only about 60%.

It is true that we didn't define well-educated, but since your "line
of defense" was to use your comparatively vast knowledge of science I
assumed that that is what you meant. After all, for a person to be
able to find the questionable parts of science like you have been
doing, that person would have to be quite knowledgeable in science.

Let me know if I have misunderstood you in any way.

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org