BIOS burned by flashing

Gareth Westwood gareth at kibblestone-uk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 02:09:02 PST 2003

Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote in message
news:20030214093014.2019a9c5.spyro at f2s.com...
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:35:21 -0000
> "Gareth Westwood" <gareth at kibblestone-uk.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > I have a laptop which was experiencing problems with the HDD under
> > windoze, it worked fine under COL. I rang the manufacturers and they
> > suggested I flash the BIOS ( I would like to point out that I didn't
> > think this was a good idea and furthermore didn't think it would fix
> > the problem). I did and now when you press the power button nothing
> > happens.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way to restore the BIOS without getting a new chip?
>
> Buy JTAG leads ;-)

A "what"?

> But seriously - if the manufacturer told you to do this, point that out
> to them, and ask (nicely!) for a replacement chip (assuming it is
> socketed).

I thought of that, they, as expected, said "you did read the disclamer from
the website before you downloaded the flash didn't you". Which is about
bloody right. I knew at the time that i shouldn't have bothered. Getting rid
of windows would have solved the problem.

Thanks for the pointers everyone, I will have to have a look round.

--
Gareth Westwood

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org