Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Feb 13 19:23:11 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 01:37, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> > As I said in my previous post, I consider the entire discussion of free
> > will to be baseless.
> >

> IMNSHO, that is a _very_ dangerous statement.

Oh bollocks.  It's only dangerous if you read things into my answer that
aren't there.  I was commenting on logic & reason.

> Either I have free will, or I am a pawn in Gods Big Plan.
>
> If I have free will, I do what I want, and am responible for my actions.

Your argument contains no consideration of perspective.  This is what
completely cripples it in my mind (and all similar discussions of free
will).

> There is no absolute way to interprete the wish of a higher power, if one
> even exists

So what?  I don't insist on absolute answers.

> Every attempt is highly subjective, and history has shown,
> only leads to disrespect, hate and immense suffering.

Practically everything done by people involves disrespect, hate and
immense suffering.  From what I can see the worst cases of this in all
history occur when people assume that they are the pinnacles of
existence.

> The world is torn apart by several groups who have opinions over things
> that can not even be shown, proven or understood. They all believe another
> fairy tale, which many are willing to defend to death... it's fuckin'
> hilarious in a sad way.

What's hilarious is that you can't see the same dynamic at work here.
Which of us is answering calmly and patiently, and which is getting
excited and carried away, Wouter?

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting