Fairy tales for adults

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Thu Feb 13 15:04:54 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, James Drabb wrote:

> [...]  And wether you personlay believe it
> or not, does not discredit the fact that for some unknow (and
> unexplained by science) reason, a *huge* number of people believe or
> have a deep conviction that it is true.

I'd say, less people than you think. Many people believe religion and its
values are somehow necessary; but I wouldn't dare to gamble on the number
of people that actually really believe in the whole religion and its
'politics' and 'invented rules'. With other words, you appreciate the
values, rather than believing the literal words of the story.

I think many people call themselves 'Christian' because they believe in
so-called 'Christian values', rather than in the relevance of a book which
may or may not have happened 2000+ years ago. It's not the book. It's not
the story, or historic accuracy. It's the morals.

People need a guideline.

You see, people can't take doubt. That's why women like men who can answer
to their questions and insecurities; why men try to live up to foolish
ideals without questioning; why masses follow leaders who seem to hold the
absolute truth. The thought that this is all there is, is not enough,
there needs to be something more, certainty, a 'meaning'. But that meaning
has not been found (and universally accepted), and until that, religions
will stay popular.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org