Fairy tales for adults

Björn Lindberg d95-bli at nada.kth.se
Thu Feb 13 14:51:51 PST 2003

JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com (James Drabb) writes:

> Billions of people around the world have a sense
> of a spirit or inner-self.  From the earliest written history,
> man has had a sense of spirit, and has searched for understanding.
> There is something in most people of the world that makes them
> have this "deeper" feeling of self, of being connected to
> something bigger, of having a spirit.  Billions of people around
> the world and since the bigging of man, have had an inner feeling
> of GOD or god(s) or even just an inner spirit.  *You* might not have
> or had this sense, but you cannot discredited it since it is somehting
> that has affected an uncountable number of humans.

I don't think that this says anything about wether a god (or several,
according to some religions) really exists or not. It says something
about the human mind for sure, but nothing more.

> Yet, in all the
> history of science, not one scientist or experiment has been able
> to *disprove* that GOD or god(s) exist.  And according to your own
> words, this is the ultimate test of a theory.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. You are confusing belief with
science. To be able to disprove the existance of a god(s) you have to
set up a falsifiable experiment. /I/ cannot do that, since I have no
conception of a god whatsoever.

> The theory of a spirit,
> GOD or god(s) has withstood the test of time, and has not been disproven
> scientifically. This doesn't mean that *you* personally need to believe
> in GOD or an inner spirit.  But to totally deny it shows that you are
> not looking at it scientifically, but only applying your own personal
> beliefs.

On the contrary. I would say that scientifically, the burden of proof
is on the believer. I respect your religious beliefs, but now you are
trying to say they are somehow indirectly scientifically proven, which
is not true.

> 1.  Can science disprove that
> GOD (or god(s)) or an inner spirit exists.

Only if you can set up a falsifiable experiment.

> 2.  Can science give me an explanation (with tangible scientific
> proof) of how the mass of the universe came into being?  Please
> don't ask me to believe by blind faith that all the mass that was
> released from the "big bang" just always existed.  That is not
> scientifically viable.

The scientific answer is: "We just don't know for sure yet, but we've
come a long way in our understanding." I'm quite comfortable to simply
admit that we don't know yet. You can of course choose what to believe
in by blind faith.

Björn

--
War on Iraq, expected # of killed Civilians:
Iraq            500,000
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org