Fairy tales for adults

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Thu Feb 13 11:43:06 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Ian Molton wrote:

> Well, more accurately, I wish everyone used scientific reasoning when
> communicating.
>
> Its actually demonstrable on MRIs that people with autism / aspergers
> use the logic bit of the brain for social things, wheras normal people
> use another part of the brain altogether that is (allegedly) better
> designed to do the job.

That's funny. I think I have the exact opposite, in a way. I have a total
lack of concentration, overempathic and sensitive tendencies, picking up
nuances in environment and social behavior which make that on an
examination (for example), I can tell you one guarding assistent-professor
fancies another, or one is extremely nervous and feels bad about herself;
who is dominative, and whois rather submissive in social relations; that
the student two rows further is about to freak out and will probably fail,
but the one on the other side of the room is having the time of his life.

What I can't tell you though, is the questions that were asked on the
examination. Major concentration problems - I can't concentrate on
anything very long. My first answers are correct; the last ones, I never
even get to see, let alone solve, given a normal amount of time.

> (I think its a worse design, as it introduces suspicion and uncertainty
> into the equation instead of logic :)

Well, sometimes it's a blessing, because you can almost sense somebody
else's thoughts and moods, see through them, which makes you good in
social perspective and in dealing with people and relations; on the other
hand, the lack of control over thoughts and emotions makes you a manic
rollercoaster that can't stay on track and concentrate on anything. I'm
almost always in a state of manic confusion. Perhaps, in a way, the
opposite of Aspergers? :)

Maybe I could be diagnosed having something ADD-related or something. Or
stoned by nature. :)

Well, things always have a good and a bad side. Rather a bit extreme to
one side or the other, than a boring mediocrity. :)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org