Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Feb 13 06:38:28 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 21:23, Jeremy Larner wrote:
> I learnt in high school science class that my girlfriend
> is a collection of random molecules brought together by chance and has
> no more significance or value than any other human being on the planet
> (or even from one point of view the sofa sat next to me - less in fact
> as that at least was designed by an intelligent mind...) but I don't
> believe it.  I rarely use science in my interactions with her.  A lot of
> the time I go on hunches, and have no evidence for the way that she will
> react - sometimes I do, but I ignore it, and it often (ok, ok, sometimes
> :) ) works.

You know, I just KNEW that any example we came up with of unscientific
thinking would somehow involve women.  That's why I resisted my usual
inclination to give a detailed example.  Thank you for being brave
enough to offer yourself up for sacrifice there, Jeremy :)

> A think Steve's point was that people relate to different things and
> different concepts in different ways.  Everybody uses a scientific
> method of thinking in relation to somethings, and a personal one in
> relation to others.  It's just that we use them for different things.

Yes, well put.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting