Fairy tales for adults (long)

Jeremy Larner jeremy.larner at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Feb 13 04:59:54 PST 2003

James Drabb wrote:

<snip>

> Jim Drabb

I think the only thing I would really want to contribute to this
discussion, is that it's usually a mistake to outright refute anyones
point of view, as there are probably people more inteligent than
yourself, and who have spent more time studying it, who still agree with it.

Believe it or not there are intelligent logical scholars who have spent
their lives studying the possibility of a 6 (24 hour) day creation, and
still believe it, demonstrating the scientific evidence to be based on
assumptions for which there is little (or no) conclusive evidence
(carbon dating?).  I'm not saying I agree with them, but they do exist...

Evolution has very little in the way of concrete evidence going for it,
a fact that is causing an increasing number of biologists to reject it
as a theory, in spite of the fact that they have no alternative theory
as to how life might have come about.  Personally, I would say that's
the best reason for going along with evolution - as an atheist you have
little choice... (Quite what evolution is anyway is a completely
different subject...)

As has been pointed out many times, science doesn't prove anything, it
just attempts to point to evidence for (or more usually) against a
certain theory.  A lot of the time it's very difficult to provide
evidence *for* anything.

Faith is required regardless of where you stand - I need faith to
believe that the information my eyes are sending me is an accurate
picture of what is on my computer screen, and therefore that I'm not
just typing away at this keyboard for no purpose (assuming that
exists...)  Maybe the most 'scientific' position is that which requires
the least 'faith' - I very subjective thing if ever there was one...

Calling anyone a kook, or branding parts of the church (or any other
religion/movement/belief) is not going to earn you any brownie points,
and will probably make you look fairly stupid, and offend a considerable
number of people.

Under no circumstances am I one of the above people who has spent a
large amount of time studying any of these issues, so if any of you are,
I bow to your superior wisdom.  Please correct me.

Jeremy

P.S. If you want to look at evidence for/against Christianity, I would
recommend reading the Bible as a good starting place.  And I wouldn't
start with Genesis, Mark or Luke are probably much better places.
Starting with websites exposing 'contradictions' or evaluating it by
reasoning out the beginning of the universe are not (IMO) the best way
to do it...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org