Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 12 21:50:19 PST 2003

> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> I do believe most religions are kind in their most sincere nature. It's
> just the ugliness of human nature - especially the doctrine of those that
> use such a religion for their own advantage or as playground for their own
> insanity - that spoils the theoretic benefit of the basic human values
> present in most religions.

The age-old problem there is that you can't continue to teach religious
beliefs without setting up some sort of church/temple system involving
people, and once you do that they introduce all their own biases and
misbehaviours.  Christians have suffered from this in particularly
dramatic ways but the same problem happens to muslims, Buddhists and
every other group perpetuating an ancient belief.

There is no solution, but a necessary partial one is for all of us to
take responsibility for seeing past other people's distortions and
trying to spot reality underneath.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting