Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 12 18:54:47 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 08:15, Richard Lightman wrote:

> > > Why would a creationalist god create such a detailed illusion of the
> > > universe being very old?
> >
> > What detailed illusion?  The whole account of creation in Genesis fits
> > in one page of normal text.  All concern with details comes from people
> > reading things into that.  The text itself is wonderfully simple.
> >
> Was the moon created with crators to look like millions of years of
> bombardment with meteors?

Who are you arguing with, Richard?

*I* didn't say the Earth was 6000 years old, because I don't believe
that.  I doubt anybody else here does, either.

*Genesis* doesn't say that the earth is 6000 years old.  In fact it says
little or nothing that one should attempt to verify scientifically so
it's eternally puzzling why people insist on trying to analyze it.  Do
you discount the histories of Herodotus (or any other ancient text)
because they contain scientific errors?  I assume not, because they were
written to be history, not science.  Genesis was likewise not written to
be science.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting