Fairy tales for adults (long)

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Wed Feb 12 15:52:25 PST 2003

Richard Lightman wrote:
> * James Drabb <JDrabb at darden.com> [2003-02-12 18:53]:
>
>>Richard Lightman wrote:
>>
>>>* James Drabb <JDrabb at darden.com> [2003-02-12 15:37]:
<snip>
> No.
> Something you will have to get used to is that mass and energy
> are the same thing. Fundamentally, the apparent difference comes
> from our daft units for space and time. You may be used to the
> speed of light in vacuum, c=3x10^8m/s (approxmatly). If we measured
> distance in seconds (or time in metres) then c=1 (exactly). This

Yuck a theoretical physicist ;-)
Why do you guys always have to calculate in dimensionless units *brrr*
Don't tell me I know, just hate to use them. :-)

> is use used in special relativity to make the calcultions easier.
> Now for the vital equation:
>
>   E=mc^2
>
> This - despite our best efforts - has not been proven false (over
> large time scales). Now is we use sensible units, c=1, so E=m.
> Energy equals mass. Energy and mass have the same units. In general
> relativity, mass/energy is the thing that distorts space. In special
> relativity, that increase in mass you observe when an object is
> moving compared to when it is not, is the kinetic energy.

<snipage>

Richard, you fail to see James point, sure you can go down to further
and further levels of explanations, but you would always end up at one
point where you can explain anymore, even if it would be the question
where do the scientific laws come from. This does certainly not prove
the existance of god, but it shows that science cannot answer the
ultimate question. And those questions have to be either answered by
philosophy or religion, or stay unanswered.

Cheers
Jochen
--
[X] Nail here for new monitor