Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 12 11:27:14 PST 2003

I must correct one small technical slip I made:

> Typically we measure the redshift of the star, by fairly reliable means
> such as measuring the shift of spectral lines.  This gives us a
> velocity

Actually it doesn't even give us a velocity, it just gives us one
component of that, along the line of sight to the star.  This is
important because that number is of considerably less use when plugged
into a model than a full measurement of velocity would be.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com