Fairy tales for adults

Steve Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Wed Feb 12 11:24:34 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 02:27, Björn Lindberg wrote:
> The speed of light in different media have been verified
> through countless experiments.

So?  This is completely irrelevant.

> So, how would you explain your answer to Ian's question? That the
> stars we see are not really stars in the astronomical sense, but
> rather small lamps not very far from the earth?

First, I don't appreciate your witless sarcasm, Björn.

Now, to the point: Ian's question was loaded; it had an assumption in it
that we are not obligated to accept, and I do not accept it.  I consider
in such cases the correct way to answer is to tackle the assumption and
give a more general answer.  Here, the fundamental point of discussion
was whether an intelligent and educated person could believe a literal
reading of Genesis, and the broad answer (simplified for you) is "of
course they can, it just depends on their background and their values
and which particular things they are interested in proving".

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com